The King cobra is cannibalistic and even specializes in hunting other snakes: Apart from that, plenty of birds and mammals often prey on snakes, and some even have resistance to their venom.
I think one of the most remarkable predators of snakes is the King cobra, secretary bird, eagle, honey badger, and mongoose.
10 Animals that prey on Venomous Snakes
(1) The king cobra
The King Cobra (Ophiophagus hannah) or ‘Snake eater’ for short. she is one of the most venomous snakes in the world due to her big size and the fact that she raises her head up high with its hood spread out when it becomes agitated.
Respected for its capability to eat other large snakes, including smaller pythons, such as reticulated and Burmese pythons.
Native to India and can be found throughout Southeast Asia, including Bangladesh, Bhutan, Burma, Cambodia, China, India, Indonesia, Laos, Nepal, the Philippine Islands, Singapore, Thailand, and Vietnam.
She belongs to the genus, Ophiophagus, Greek for “snake eater.”
The king cobra can grow to about 16-18 feet in length and she’s the world’s longest venomous snake in the world.
Most king cobras are around 9-13 feet long, counting on their locality. They can weigh between 20-28 lbs, again depending on locality.
King Cobra facts
- They live in highland forests, woods, and pasture lands and also near bodies of water.
- King cobras feed almost entirely on other snakes, though they’re known to also eat rodents and lizards.
- They are highly toxic and therefore the snake can deliver a substantial amount during a single bite, upwards of 200 to 500 mg of venom.
- The venom affects the central nervous system, which causes blurred vision, vertigo, drowsiness, and paralysis.
- It then causes the collapse of the cardiovascular system and eventually respiratory failure. Immediate medical treatment is essential to enhance survival from a king cobra snakebite.
- It is said that death can come to a person bitten by a king cobra within 30 minutes, depending on the amount of venom delivered during the envenomation.
- While king cobras are feared in their native range, they are not responsible for the most deaths from a venomous snakes.
- In fact, king cobras, like most other snakes, venomous and non-venomous, would prefer to stay away from humans, though human activity, such as deforestation and habitat destruction, has caused the interactions between venomous snakes and humans to grow.
- Other venomous snakes, such as the black mamba, are said by some to kill more people each year than the king of all venomous snakes. Animals skilled with killing venomous snakes.
(2) The Eagle
- One of the amazing features of the eagle is that the eagle is able to see five basic colors compared to a man that sees only three.
- The eagle is able to detect prey at great heights. For example, an eagle can detect a rabbit at a height of up to 3.2 km. This is 4-5 times better than a man’s eyesight!
- Eagles are capable of killing large snakes Knowing this you will then know that a snake also won’t be spared.
- The eagle would use its sharp claws and its beak to kill the snake. The claws are believed to have a grip that is ten times stronger than that of the human hand. 10 Animals that will kill venomous snakes.
- This strength is capable of crushing the head of the snake easily or leaving it to bleed to death. In defense, the snake would probably use its mouth to strike the eagle and check out to coil itself around the eagle.
- But this is not comparable to the injuries that the snake would get from the eagle. I hope you like reading. 10 Animals that will kill venomous snakes.
- Peacocks are tough on snakes. It is not widely known but Peacocks do not like snakes. A peacock or peahen will not let snakes live within their territory.
- If they find a snake they will actively fight with it, even if it is a poisonous snake. They will also eat snakes.
(4) Secretary Birds
- Secretary birds can crush a snake’s skull faster than you can blink Snake-hunting Secretary Birds use the force of five times their body weight to stamp on and kill their prey.
- Researchers have discovered that Secretary Birds can kick with 195 Newtons, which is like five times their own weight, once they attack and kill their prey.
- The Sagittarius serpentarius uses its wings as protection from potential bites by flapping to distract its prey.
- Techniques are only reserved for difficult and dangerous animals like snakes. 10 Animals that will kill venomous snakes.
(5) The Indian gray mongoose
- The Indian gray mongoose is well known for its ability to kill venomous snakes, particularly cobras.
- Mongooses have a unique way of killing snakes. They first capture the snake’s attention using their eyes, this makes the snake immobile then they quickly hop on them.
[Video] Mongoose Vs King Cobra Big Battle
- The fight between the snake and mongooses is very rapid, it involves high jumps and a lot of tossing around.
- The mongoose isn’t resistant to the venom, but its thick coat stops the penetration of the venom. If the mongoose is lucky it takes a few hours to recover.
- They are adept at such tasks due to their agility, Urine of the mongoose may also be used to repel snakes with some level of efficacy but the public may not have access to this Snakes get wary when they smell a mongoose.
- Its thick coats and specialized acetylcholine receptors render them resistant to venom.
- We know it’s difficult to believe that such a small and fragile-looking animal has the ability to kill one of the world’s most feared animals.
- And you’d be surprised to understand that a hedgehog can kill a snake very quickly. A viper is unable to see however, it uses techniques of attack and retreat.
- The hedgehog knows that a snake can’t see so when the snake strikes it exposes its armor of spines.
- Each attack on this armor results in multiple snake injuries. Once the snake is so injured that it loses its ability to strike, the hedgehog comes out of its armor and bites the snake on its head.
- The procedure is repeated until the snake is dead. The animal starts eating the snake from its head and the process of eating last for hours because the hedgehog does not have big teeth.
- Hedgehogs are only partially immune to snakes, and venom, and they can even be killed if bitten in certain areas, like the muzzle.
- For example. Some can die in 3 hours after being bitten by the muzzle, others can experience just a swell.
- Hedgehogs’ resistance to venom is 35-45 times above that of a Guinea pig an equivalent size, but this is often influenced by the hedgehog’s size, the venom amount, and therefore the age of the snake.
- A hedgehog also can tolerate doses of arsenic that will kill 25 persons. 10 Animals that will kill venomous snakes.
(7) Honey Badger
- The next on our list is ratels. Known for their ability to kill snakes. Honey Badger grabs the viper from behind, holds him down by capturing its head, and then kills it with its powerful jaws.
- The best part of these Ratel is that they are immune to some of the venoms, for example, They can as well handle and kill a cobra. The venom of a cobra does not affect them.
- Whereas, this same venom can kill a human as it paralyzes them and destroy their respiratory system. Humans tend to die because of suffocation. 10 Animals that will kill venomous snakes
- The honey badger has molecular defenses against cobra venom’s neurotoxins, and loose, thick skin to help it avoid getting struck in the first place.
- A Spanish word meaning “little armored one” refers to the bony plates that cover the rear, head, legs, and tail of most of these odd-looking animals.
- it always stands motionless when a predator is approaching. But when posed with a threat, Armadillo will claw and bite.
- Through clawing and biting, these armored critters can transmit leprosy, rabies, and other harmful diseases.
- Armadillos can kill snakes by launching themselves upon these reptiles and cutting them with the edge of their hard shell.
- Armadillos, Raccoons, foxes, and coyotes also take the opportunity to consume many species of snakes. … These land animals are fast and the raccoons and foxes can also reach those snakes that live in the trees.
- Raccoons are omnivores. Raccoons like humans have teeth designed to grind plants and tear meat.
- They are excellent problem solvers and can manipulate things with their paws and fingers which makes them good at adapting to environmental changes. 10 Animals that will kill venomous snakes
- They can as well open latches, unlocked doors, and garbage cans.
- Even inspect food using their paws and fingers and remove any unwanted pieces before eating it.
- Raccoons douse their food in water as well, but the reason they do that is debatable. Are they washing their food, softening their food, moistening their food to make it easier to swallow, softening their paws in order to better feel their food, or are they simply playing in water?. Only the raccoons know for sure.
- Raccoons are clever and resourceful animals. They live, eat, and adapt to diverse environments. Found in cold climates, warm climates, urban areas, and in some countries.
- Raccoons eat berries, fruits, nuts, grains, and vegetables. They also eat insects, eggs, poultry, rats, squirrels, small livestock, birds, fish, snakes, crawfish, worms, frogs, and mollusks.
- Raccoons occasionally eat pet food, carrion, and human garbage. Raccoons wish to eat many various sorts of food.
What do raccoons eat in the wild?
- Raccoons in the wild are skilled at using their paws to catch fish, steal eggs or hatchlings from bird nests, and pick fruit.
- Further, they will raid a vegetable garden, a chicken house, a pet food bowl, or a garbage can.
- They will catch rats, squirrels, small livestock, snakes, frogs, chickens, crawfish, worms, and mollusks, but they prefer slower-moving, easier-to-catch prey. They love berries, acorns, and other tree nuts.
(10) Dogs, Cats, and Pigs
- The dogs and cats we have in our homes can also sometimes be able to catch snakes and kill them. Some dog species are trained on how to catch snakes and then kill them.
- Animals are useful in keeping snakes away. It is important to note that there are no house pets that are able to keep away the snakes unless they receive some special training and even with training, the pet is still at enormous risk.
- The dogs and cats can be able to do snake hunting but they cannot be able to patrol the property actively in search of snakes.
- When you choose to use your pet, you need to be aware that the pet may get bite injuries, and if you are in an area where the snakes are venomous, it can even lead to death.
- Pigs can also be able to kill snakes but then, this is more of an instinct than a hunt. The pigs stomp serpents when they get a chance to do so.
6 most painful Insect bites in the world
A little arthropod animal with six legs and one or two pairs of wings is known as an insect. Insects...
Watch the video above – 1000 COCKROACHES vs ANTHILL in epic battle. Guess who won?
Killer whales(Orcas) are known to torpedo from below at top speeds by ramming the sides of the whales with their heads.
The orcas’ obsession with tongues is well documented; on several occasions, it has been the sole or nearly the only thing they eat from their massive preys.
click link above to watch video
Cheetahs get their prey easily compared to lions. Due to this competition, lions may feel that they do not have enough food due to the presence of cheetahs. The natural habitat of lions is also native to cheetahs. Since they live in close proximity, lions will attack or kill cheetahs in territorial disputes.
Click the link above to watch video
How Strong is an Anaconda?
Anacondas are semi-aquatic snakes that can be found in tropical South America, especially in the Amazon, and are different from...
Our wild swarm hive is out of control. We have to kill the queen bee…!
In the video above – The Bee-keeeper(Man) kills the Queen bee – Bees got pissed off, Bee-keeper got stung multiple times, but luckily, he survived…!
I love how his wife is just standing there while he’s screaming in pain..Lol
It’s quite funny actually…!
click the link above to watch video
Camels are fed with live snakes. Because there is a special kind of disease in their body. Due to which his whole body becomes stiff. To avoid this disease, Utahars(camel owner) feed live snakes to camels.
Although, there is no scientific proof that eating a snake can cure an animal’s disease.
Perhabs this is some type of hocus pocus probably practiced in rural places in the Middle East.!
Click the link above to watch video if you wish to learn more
Shadow is a vicious Rottweiler that has attacked dogs in its own neighborhood. Cesar Millan does the unthinkable by confronting this dog with his pit bull Junior.
We saw him writhing around in pain on a jungle floor after stinging himself with tarantula hawk wasp, but prepare for an even bigger insect bite…!
In his YouTube video, Coyote Peterson said that the Executioner Wasp sting was, by far, “the worst sting [he’s] ever taken.”
Click the link above to watch video
Saltwater Crocodile – Why are crocodiles so strong?
Crocodiles are large aquatic reptiles found in the Tropics of Africa, Asia, the Americas, and Australia. Crocodiles prefer freshwater habitats...
An animal handler who survived a gator attack is speaking out about the harrowing ordeal.
A gator bit down on 31-year-old Lindsay hands during feeding time at a reptile and animal zoo, as children at a birthday party looked on.
Bull jumped into the glass enclosure to get better leverage. Then the gator whipped the trainer underwater in what’s known as a “death roll.” She now reveals why she jumped in purposely, and how her gymnastics experience may have saved her.
Click the link above to watch video
Lion vs Jaguar
Which Cat Will Win? Lion vs Jaguar Fight to the Death
Lions and jaguars are both known as great hunters, stalking their prey with keen instincts and powerful frames to bring...
Lion vs Jaguar clash in a battle to the death
An apex predator in his habitat, the jaguar with his silence patience, and speed makes his scary face the last...
Lion Defeats Jaguar in Epic Battle to the Death
Who will emerge victorious in this epic battle? Which of these two magnificent wild cats do you prefer: the jaguar...
Jaguar vs Lioness – If they fought, who would win?
Follow my blog with Bloglovin Jaguar vs Lioness – If they fought, who would win? Who would win a fight...
Look at what happened When a Jaguar and a Lion fight to the Death
Look at what happened When a Jaguar and a Lion fight to the Death Can a jaguar kill a lion?...
CHIMPANZEE VS Red KANGAROO – Which is Stronger?
If a chimpanzee and a kangaroo clash, who would win? Although they are completely different and live in different parts...
How to Survive a Kangaroo Attack
The iconic, charming, cuddly, hop-along critters of Australia may not be as friendly as you assume. Kangaroos can be rather...
How strong is a Kangaroo?
The kangaroo is an Australian icon. Its size, strength, and speed are traits that make it a natural logo or...