iHeartDogs is reader-supported. Some of the links below may be paid affiliate links, where we receive a small commission on a product at no additional cost to you.
Incontinence in dogs can be a challenging issue for both pets and their owners, often stemming from various underlying health conditions. While veterinary care is crucial in diagnosing and treating the root cause, nutritional support through supplements can play a significant role in managing this condition. In this article, we delve into the best supplements for dog incontinence, exploring how they can help strengthen the urinary system, improve bladder control, and enhance overall urinary health. From natural herbal remedies to targeted nutrients, we will guide you through the options available, providing insights on how to support best your canine companion in dealing with incontinence.
#1 – iHeartDogs Extra Strength Urinary, Bladder, & Kidney Support for Dogs – Cranberry, D-Mannose & Echinacea Helps Frequent UTIs, Strengthens Weak & Incontinent Bladder
The iHeartDogs Extra Strength Urinary, Bladder, & Kidney Support for Dogs is a supplement that contains cranberry, D-Mannose, and Echinacea to help support the urinary system in dogs. Cranberry extract is known to help reduce urinary tract infections, while D-Mannose binds to bacteria in the urinary tract and helps eliminate them from the body. This supplement also includes ingredients that boost the immune system, helping dogs fight off harmful bacteria and maintain their overall health.
#2 – Vet Classics Bladder, Incontinence Support Dog Supplement – Supports Bladder Health for Dogs, Helps With Pet Incontinence – Includes Phytoestrogens, Botanicals – Chewable Tablets – 120 Ct.
The Vet Classics Bladder, Incontinence Support Dog Supplement is a pet health supplement designed to support healthy bladder control and urination in dogs. It includes a blend of plant-based precursors, botanicals, and phytoestrogens to help with incontinence support. This supplement is specifically recommended for female dogs struggling with bladder control and incontinence. Formulated by veterinarians, it aims to support normal bladder function in dogs while providing essential nutrients for a healthy lifestyle. Vet Classics is a trusted brand that has been offering high-quality pet health supplements since 1994.
#3 – Zesty Paws Cranberry Bladder Bites for Dogs – Kidney & Urinary Tract Health – Soft Chews with D-Mannose, Vitamin B6 & L-Arginine – Immune & Gut Support – Chicken – 90 Count
Zesty Paws Cranberry Bladder Bites for Dogs are soft chews designed to support kidney and urinary tract health in pets. With ingredients like cranberry, D-mannose, and vitamin B6, these chewables aim to promote urinary wellness. The product also includes Marshmallow Root and Astragalus to assist with bowel health and the immune system. Zesty Paws is a trusted brand in the pet supplement industry known for using high-quality ingredients.
#4 – VetriScience Bladder Strength Supplement for Dogs – Vet Recommended Bladder Supplement for Spayed and Senior Dogs, UT Health, Bladder Control, Prevent Bladder Crystals and Stones
VetriScience Bladder Strength Supplement for Dogs is a vet-recommended product that supports normal bladder function and bladder health in dogs. It is particularly beneficial for spayed and senior dogs, helping them maintain bladder control and prevent leakage. The supplement contains carefully selected ingredients such as saw Palmetto and phytoestrogens that support bladder control and muscle tone. It is safe for daily use and is manufactured in the USA under the guidance of a Veterinary review board.
#5 – NaturVet Senior Advanced Incontinence Dog Supplement – Helps Support Dog’s Bladder Control, Normal Urination – Includes Synergistic Blend of Botanicals – 60 Ct. Soft Chews
The NaturVet Senior Advanced Incontinence Dog Supplement is a product designed to help support bladder control and normal urination in dogs. It includes a blend of botanicals that aim to maintain muscle tone in the bladder and support urinary tract functions. This veterinarian-approved formula is especially beneficial for senior dogs and can also help boost the immune system. NaturVet is a trusted brand that has been providing wholesome dog supplements since 1994, and their products are made in the USA and are wheat-free.
#6 – Mighty Paw Waggables Cran-Bladder (Made in The USA) | Cranberry Supplement for Dogs, Cranberry Chews for Urinary Tract Health. Kidney, & Bladder Support. Antioxidant Immune Health (120 Count)
The Mighty Paw Waggables Cran-Bladder is a cranberry supplement for dogs that aims to support urinary tract health, kidney function, and bladder health. It is vet formulated and made in the USA, providing assurance of its quality. The supplement contains antioxidants from cranberries, echinacea, and vitamin C, promoting a healthy immune system. Additionally, it comes in a bacon flavor, making it appealing to dogs and easier for pet owners to administer.
#7 – Cranberry for Dogs – 90 Soft Chews – Urinary Tract Support, Bladder Support for Dogs, Dog UTI, Bladder Stones, Dog Incontinence Support, Cranberry Supplement for Dogs (Soft Chews)
Cranberry for Dogs is a soft chew supplement that promotes urinary tract health in dogs. It contains natural ingredients such as D-Mannose, Cranberry, and Astragalus Root, which support bladder health and control, soothe discomfort, and provide antioxidants and Vitamin C. The supplement also includes Marshmallow Root to support healthy kidney function. It is veterinarian formulated and manufactured in FDA-registered facilities in the USA, ensuring high quality and safety for pets.
#8 – Nutrition Strength Dog Incontinence Support, Supplement for Dog Bladder Health, Organic Support for Dogs Leaking Urine, Promotes Dog Bladder Control, 120 Chewable Tablets
The Nutrition Strength Dog Incontinence Support is a highly rated supplement for dogs experiencing urinary incontinence. It offers a 365-day guarantee and is formulated with carefully selected organic ingredients to promote bladder control and encourage a healthy urine flow. The supplement is suitable for all dogs, regardless of age, breed, or size, and is made with non-GMO ingredients to ensure the safety and well-being of pets.
What Should I Look for in a Supplement to Help My Dog’s Incontinence?
When selecting a supplement to help with your dog’s incontinence, there are several important factors to consider to ensure the supplement is effective and safe for your pet:
- Targeted Ingredients: Look for supplements containing ingredients known to support urinary health. Ingredients like pumpkin seed powder, soy protein extract, and wild yam extract are known to help strengthen bladder muscles. Cranberry extract and D-Mannose can help maintain urinary tract health and prevent infections, which can sometimes contribute to incontinence.
- Appropriate Formulation for Dogs: Ensure the supplement is specifically formulated for dogs. Dogs have different physiological needs and tolerances than humans, so it’s important that any supplement you choose is safe for canine consumption.
- Veterinarian Approval: Consult your veterinarian before starting any new supplement. They can provide recommendations based on your dog’s specific health needs and ensure that the supplement won’t interfere with any existing conditions or medications.
- Quality and Safety: Choose supplements from reputable brands that adhere to high quality and safety standards. Look for products that have been tested for purity and potency and are manufactured in facilities that follow strict quality control guidelines.
- Ease of Administration: Consider the form of the supplement (chewable tablets, powder, liquid, etc.) and choose one that will be easy for you to administer and for your dog to take. Palatability is also important to ensure your dog will willingly consume the supplement.
- No Harmful Additives: Avoid supplements with unnecessary additives, fillers, artificial colors, or preservatives, which can be harmful or cause adverse reactions in some dogs.
- Customer Reviews and Experiences: Look at reviews and experiences from other dog owners. While individual results can vary, these can provide insight into the supplement’s effectiveness and palatability.
- Dosage and Instructions: Pay attention to the dosage instructions and ensure they are clear and easy to follow. Proper dosing is crucial for the supplement to be effective.
By considering these factors, you can make a more informed decision about which supplement may be best to help manage your dog’s incontinence, always keeping your veterinarian’s advice in mind.
Frequently Asked Questions About Dog Incontinence Supplements
1. What causes incontinence in dogs, and how can supplements help?
Incontinence in dogs can be caused by a variety of factors including age, hormonal imbalance, urinary tract infections, or weakened bladder muscles. Supplements for dog incontinence often contain ingredients that support bladder health and muscle tone, reduce inflammation, and promote hormonal balance. They can be an effective part of a management plan, especially for age-related incontinence.
2. Are dog incontinence supplements safe for all dogs?
While most dog incontinence supplements are safe for the general dog population, individual dogs may have specific health issues or sensitivities. It’s always recommended to consult with a veterinarian before starting any new supplement, especially if your dog is on medication or has a chronic health condition.
3. What key ingredients should I look for in a dog incontinence supplement?
Key ingredients in dog incontinence supplements often include pumpkin seed powder, which helps strengthen bladder muscles; corn silk, which supports a healthy urinary tract; and cranberry extract, which prevents urinary tract infections. Some supplements also contain hormone-supportive ingredients like soy isoflavones or wild yam extract.
4. How long does it take for incontinence supplements to work in dogs?
The time it takes for incontinence supplements to show effectiveness can vary. Some dogs may show improvement within a few weeks, while others might need a couple of months. Consistent use as per the recommended dosage is important for seeing results.
5. Can incontinence supplements completely cure my dog’s incontinence?
Incontinence supplements are designed to manage the symptoms of incontinence, not cure the underlying cause. They can be highly effective in reducing the frequency and severity of accidents, but it’s important to address the root cause of incontinence with your veterinarian.
6. How do I choose the right incontinence supplement for my dog?
Choosing the right incontinence supplement involves considering your dog’s specific symptoms and needs, consulting with a veterinarian, and selecting a high-quality product with proven ingredients. Consider the ease of administration (chews, liquid, powder) based on your dog’s preferences.
7. Are there any side effects of using incontinence supplements for dogs?
Side effects of incontinence supplements for dogs are generally rare and mild, but can include gastrointestinal upset like diarrhea or constipation. If you notice any adverse reactions after starting a supplement, consult your veterinarian immediately.
8. Can I use human bladder supplements for my dog?
It’s not recommended to use human bladder supplements for dogs. Dogs have different nutritional needs and sensitivities, and some ingredients in human supplements can be harmful to them. Always choose supplements specifically formulated for dogs.
9. Should I continue giving my dog incontinence supplements if I see improvement?
If you see improvement in your dog’s incontinence symptoms, it’s advisable to continue with the supplement regimen unless advised otherwise by your veterinarian. Stopping the supplements might lead to a return of symptoms.
10. Can diet and lifestyle changes complement the use of incontinence supplements?
Diet and lifestyle changes can indeed complement the use of incontinence supplements. Ensuring your dog has a balanced diet, maintaining a healthy weight, and providing regular exercise can improve overall bladder health. Also, frequent bathroom breaks and bladder training exercises can help manage incontinence.
Conclusion: Best Supplements for Dog Incontinence
In conclusion, while supplements can be a valuable tool in managing dog incontinence, they should be used as part of a broader approach that includes veterinary guidance and possibly lifestyle adjustments. Each dog is unique, and what works for one may not be as effective for another. Always consult with your veterinarian before starting any new supplement regimen to ensure it’s safe and appropriate for your dog’s specific health needs. With the right combination of medical care, nutrition, and supplements, you can significantly improve your dog’s comfort and quality of life, helping them to manage incontinence more effectively.