When we talk about an animal that hasn’t changed for over 2 million years, that has survived the most adverse of situations and extinctions, and that remains the most flawless and superior of its kind, everything is interesting.
I used to think that crocodilians were just large reptiles that ambush their prey when it approaches the water and eat it.
When you dig a little however, you find a highly complex and advanced animal.
So, after million years of survival and DNA “experience”, these are some incredible things that crocodiles can do:
(1) They can’t just die out of hunger, because they will slow their metabolism and endure for months.
Additionally, they have been observed using branches as tools, in order to lure birds. This behaviour is deliberately done, as it is only observed during spring, when the need for the construction of the nest arises.
(2) They can’t just die when they lose a limb because their body prevents the spread of possible diseases and infections and completely heals.
(3) They can’t just freeze to death, even though they’re ectothermic, because they will stick out their nostrils and continue living frozen, for even a week, by adjusting the flow of oxygen in their bodies. It’s called torpor. (only alligators however)
(4) They can’t just get sick by bacteria found in the environment and food because their immune system is unparalleled. So much so, that scientists want to use it to prolong our lives.
(5) It has been observed that the immune system of crocodilians is extremely advanced. During an experiment, when human blood was exposed to 23 strains of bacteria, it managed to exterminate eight of them, while crocodile blood easily annihilated all 23 strains.
(6) They can’t just miss their prey frequently because they have sensory organs (ISOs) that detect pressure changes in the water.
(7) They can’t just die out of dehydration because they have glands that control the absorption of salt. (Saltwater crocodile)
(8) They can’t just drown when they attempt to swallow their prey because they have evolved an organ (palatal valve) which seals their esophagus and trachea/windpipe to prevent flow of water.
Crocodiles are at the pinnacle of evolution for their species. They have some other interesting characteristics too:
(9) They can run much faster than a human, despite their short legs and flat stature.
(10) They belong to a select few creatures that use natural bacteria to externally pre-digest their food.
(11) Their upper skin is so thick and tough a small caliber pistol bullet will glance off and ricochet if fired at them at a shallow angle.
(12) They kill a great many humans every year in Africa when people go to riversides to collect water.
(13) They have very small brains (smaller than a tiny apple) yet have good memory of prey and enemies and still fool humans quite easily despite our much bigger brains.
(14) Their ability to lie just below the surface of the water with just their nostrils and eyes above water make then very hard to detect and nearly invisible at dawn or dusk.
(15) When they first hatch from their eggs they imprint on the first living creature they see as their “mother”, even if it happens to be a human. From there they will follow their “mother” to get fed and survive. So if you are watching one hatch up close, you might well end up with a new reptilian child!
(16) Wild crocodiles can reach 18 ft in length and are much more aggressive than alligators.
(17) There are very few creatures that can compare to them in nature. Their close counterpart in the oceans are great white sharks, equally ancient and also at the pinnacle of evolution, for a fish.
This is, to me, an incredible example of evolution, because a human can hold their jaws shut with one hand.
Instead, any evolutionary steps refined a jaw structure built solely for huge closing power.
Most crocs will eat around once a week, although they can go up to a year between meals in extremis.
As a result, they can afford to be selective. A croc will lay just below the water, well offshore and invisible but for its eyes, and watch prey animals come to drink.
Because of the hierarchical nature of prey herds, each individual will drink at the same place every time.
The croc will select an individual and observe it every time it comes to drink, memorizing every detail: body position, movements, timing, awareness and reactiveness, the whole process of that individual drinking.
The croc may do this for weeks, possibly changing its target and starting the whole process again if it feels its target is very sensitive to its surroundings.
When it decides to attack, it places itself a couple of feet from the bank, totally submerged, invisible and in the perfect position to attack this specific animal.
Because of the refraction of light through water, it can’t trust its vision, so it is effectively blind when it strikes, and coordinates its attack based entirely on its study and in depth knowledge of how its target moves and reacts. It is nearly 100% successful.
(As you can see, I tossed in an alligator fact. It was too cool to pass.)
When it comes to such a marvel of nature, one can only have awe and admire this evolutionary champion.
6 most painful Insect bites in the world
A little arthropod animal with six legs and one or two pairs of wings is known as an insect. Insects...
Watch the video above – 1000 COCKROACHES vs ANTHILL in epic battle. Guess who won?
Killer whales(Orcas) are known to torpedo from below at top speeds by ramming the sides of the whales with their heads.
The orcas’ obsession with tongues is well documented; on several occasions, it has been the sole or nearly the only thing they eat from their massive preys.
click link above to watch video
Cheetahs get their prey easily compared to lions. Due to this competition, lions may feel that they do not have enough food due to the presence of cheetahs. The natural habitat of lions is also native to cheetahs. Since they live in close proximity, lions will attack or kill cheetahs in territorial disputes.
Click the link above to watch video
How Strong is an Anaconda?
Anacondas are semi-aquatic snakes that can be found in tropical South America, especially in the Amazon, and are different from...
Our wild swarm hive is out of control. We have to kill the queen bee…!
In the video above – The Bee-keeeper(Man) kills the Queen bee – Bees got pissed off, Bee-keeper got stung multiple times, but luckily, he survived…!
I love how his wife is just standing there while he’s screaming in pain..Lol
It’s quite funny actually…!
click the link above to watch video
Camels are fed with live snakes. Because there is a special kind of disease in their body. Due to which his whole body becomes stiff. To avoid this disease, Utahars(camel owner) feed live snakes to camels.
Although, there is no scientific proof that eating a snake can cure an animal’s disease.
Perhabs this is some type of hocus pocus probably practiced in rural places in the Middle East.!
Click the link above to watch video if you wish to learn more
Shadow is a vicious Rottweiler that has attacked dogs in its own neighborhood. Cesar Millan does the unthinkable by confronting this dog with his pit bull Junior.
We saw him writhing around in pain on a jungle floor after stinging himself with tarantula hawk wasp, but prepare for an even bigger insect bite…!
In his YouTube video, Coyote Peterson said that the Executioner Wasp sting was, by far, “the worst sting [he’s] ever taken.”
Click the link above to watch video
Saltwater Crocodile – Why are crocodiles so strong?
Crocodiles are large aquatic reptiles found in the Tropics of Africa, Asia, the Americas, and Australia. Crocodiles prefer freshwater habitats...
An animal handler who survived a gator attack is speaking out about the harrowing ordeal.
A gator bit down on 31-year-old Lindsay hands during feeding time at a reptile and animal zoo, as children at a birthday party looked on.
Bull jumped into the glass enclosure to get better leverage. Then the gator whipped the trainer underwater in what’s known as a “death roll.” She now reveals why she jumped in purposely, and how her gymnastics experience may have saved her.
Click the link above to watch video
Lion vs Jaguar
Which Cat Will Win? Lion vs Jaguar Fight to the Death
Lions and jaguars are both known as great hunters, stalking their prey with keen instincts and powerful frames to bring...
Lion vs Jaguar clash in a battle to the death
An apex predator in his habitat, the jaguar with his silence patience, and speed makes his scary face the last...
Lion Defeats Jaguar in Epic Battle to the Death
Who will emerge victorious in this epic battle? Which of these two magnificent wild cats do you prefer: the jaguar...
Jaguar vs Lioness – If they fought, who would win?
Follow my blog with Bloglovin Jaguar vs Lioness – If they fought, who would win? Who would win a fight...
Look at what happened When a Jaguar and a Lion fight to the Death
Look at what happened When a Jaguar and a Lion fight to the Death Can a jaguar kill a lion?...
CHIMPANZEE VS Red KANGAROO – Which is Stronger?
If a chimpanzee and a kangaroo clash, who would win? Although they are completely different and live in different parts...
How to Survive a Kangaroo Attack
The iconic, charming, cuddly, hop-along critters of Australia may not be as friendly as you assume. Kangaroos can be rather...
How strong is a Kangaroo?
The kangaroo is an Australian icon. Its size, strength, and speed are traits that make it a natural logo or...