We know that protecting our dogs is more essential than anything as loving dog owners. Their health, happiness, and well-being are all in our hands– as they are unable to look after themselves. We have to be cautious of what hidden dangers may harm our dogs, just like we would with toddlers.
One dog, named Wasabi, was a recent victim to this hidden danger. His grandma, Patricia Polacco, posted this to Facebook:
“My Daughter Traci lost her dearest dog Wasabi to this…it was a pork rind bag. She had left to go pick up something at a friends, wasn’t even gone 10 minutes and her roommate called. He found her next to the front door with the bag still on her head. HAD SHE KNOWN……..it hadn’t even crossed her mind that something like this could happen. None of us knew!!!! Please spread the word. Chip bags, zip lock bags that had left over food in them, treat bags, yogurt containers, Especially the YoPlait, cut it all up!!!! Don’t leave them where pups and cats can get to them. Our hearts are still broken. Thank you.”
Another dog, named Menja, was also killed by a snack bag according to WUSA 9. Shira Reese, his mother, told the news station about the day she discovered her dog dead:
“I went downstairs and I found him unresponsive with a Goldfish bag around his neck,” Shira told WUSA 9. “At that point, he was stiff.”
A 3rd dog owner, Debbie Smith, also spoke about her worst day imaginable, “[He] was starting to swell and such. It was just unbearable. He was my life for 10 years. I wept like a baby for days and weeks.”
The four dogs were merely following natural instinct: hunger. Their insatiable appetite led to their deaths.
Every dog is vulnerable. It doesn’t matter how well-trained they are, or whether they’re big or little. People who own dogs would be shocked to learn that their beloved pets could perish in a death trap like this.
Advice to dog owners:
Keep all snack bags hidden. Another great idea is to invest in sealable containers that fit in your pantry. This will also keep food fresher longer and save you money over time. Please be careful. Their safety is at risk.
Be sure to WATCH the video below and pass on this advice to a friend or family pet owner: